At Frederick Community College we proudly serve the educational needs of our students, help develop the economic vitality of our local communities, and enrich the lives of Frederick County residents. Each year, more than 16, 000 students take a diverse scope of courses at Frederick Community College, located in Frederick, Maryland. Our vast range of courses includes quality instruction in more than 85 degree and certificate programs as well as workforce training and continuing education to meet the needs and interests of our community members. FCC proudly embraces and showcases academics, arts, athletics and more to provide pathways to success for all students. Each year we provide direct service to thousands of residents and indirect services to countless more. We credit our ability to deliver these services to the strength and commitment of our people. We invite you to explore all that we have to offer!
Relocation Provided?: No
The Head Coach for Volleyball provides leadership and coaching expertise, ensures the academic progress of student-athletes, and participates in athletic fundraising, as approved by the Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Advancement (the FCC Foundation) and the Director of Athletics. The Head Coach uses varying styles, approaches, skills, and techniques that reflect an understanding and acceptance of the role of culture in a diverse, multicultural workplace. This position supports enrollment, retention, and completion initiatives of the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
1. Provide leadership and coaching expertise to prepare the volleyball team to represent the College in an exemplary manner at practice sessions and scheduled athletic contests.
2. Cultivate an environment that promotes good sportsmanship, open communication, team discipline, and respect for who participate in the athletic arena.
3. Recruit student-athletes by visiting area high schools continuously during the calendar year as part of the Department of Athletics outreach and in accordance with National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and FCC Department of Athletics guidelines.
4. Participate in fundraising efforts for the Department of Athletics, as approved by the Office of Institutional Advancement and Director of Athletics, following approved College guidelines.
5. Serve as a positive role model for student-athletes and collaborate with the Athletic Department Compliance/Academic Advisor in promoting the academic success of all student-athletes, making appropriate referrals to campus resources for those in need of academic support.
6. Perform a variety of administrative responsibilities by collaborating with the Director of Athletics and department staff in managing meal money, requesting transportation, scheduling non-league contests, and assisting with budgets for your respective sport.
7. Uphold and enforce all the rules of the NJCAA Code of Conduct, the Frederick Community College Code of Student Conduct, and department and team rules as described in the Student-Athlete Handbook and the FCC Handbook for Coaches.
8. Recruit student-athletes according to the NJCAA guidelines, as well as those established by the College.
9. Assist student-athletes with transfer to senior institutions by making contacts, sending videos, writing letters of recommendation, and requesting scholarship information.
10. Field and maintain a goal of at least 12 eligible student-athletes to sustain the team throughout the season, adhering to academic guidelines for participation in compliance with NJCAA standards.
11. Conduct team practice sessions that are stimulating and encourage skill development and teamwork.
12. Collaborate with the Sports Information Coordinator to complete, maintain, and report team and individual statistics as required by the Maryland Junior College (MDJUCO) Conference Operating Code.
13. Develop opportunities for student-athletes to engage in the Frederick community through civic engagement and organizing youth camps.
14. Attend MDJUCO Conference meetings, professional meetings, and clinics pertaining to improving coaching methods and techniques, as applicable.
15. Interact with the Athletic Training Staff as needed.
16. Obtain and maintain CPR/First Aid Certification.
17. Perform other duties as assigned.
Salary: $7,590 stipend
FCC offers a generous benefits package which includes medical insurance, dental and vision plans, waiver of FCC tuition for employee and eligible dependents, tuition reimbursement, generous leave benefits, retirement plans, and more! Frederick Community College prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its activities, admissions, educational programs, and employment. Frederick Community College, an equal opportunity employer, values campus diversity in students and staff and encourages members from historically under-represented groups to apply.
Frederick Community College (FCC) is a public college accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). FCC is distinguished by its quality and affordability, making it attainable and valuable for local students. Accredited programs, comprehensive instruction, and affordable costs of attendance have made FCC the learning destination for more than 200,000 students since 1957.