Location: San Antonio, Texas
Internal Number: JR100277
Job Family Group:
Swimming (Cathleen Pruden)
Please note, starting salaries are based on factors including internal equity, relevant experience, and education.
United States of America (Exempt)
Responsible for assisting the Head Coach of Swimming and Diving in coaching and recruiting for the University's Intercollegiate Division III Swim program. Teaches activity classes and a second assignment within the Athletic Department is required.
- Assists the Head Coach of Swimming and Diving with all aspects of coaching Trinity University's Intercollegiate Division III Swimming program.
- Coaches morning and afternoon workouts on weekdays and Saturdays as scheduled (usually 11 sessions weekly in season). Attends team strength training sessions as scheduled (usually 3 sessions weekly in season). On deck coaching to assist athletes with make-up practice sessions missed due to academic conflicts, as required.
- Recruitments of qualified secondary school student athletes according to the Trinity University's Admission Office guidelines, including researching club and high school meet results; communicating with recruits via text, email, and telephone calls; communicating with their club and high school coaches; planning campus visits to include hosting said recruits and their parents while on campus. Coordinates recruiting endeavors with members of the TU Admissions Office. Occasionally communicates with TU alumni about assisting in said recruitment of student athletes in their respective communities.
- Communicates with both the parents of team members and TU alumni swimmers and divers regarding the program, team activities, and fundraising events pertinent to the development and enhancement of Trinity University Swimming and Diving.
- Plans the team's competitive schedule. Makes appropriate arrangements for the team to travel "out of town", which includes flight reservations, bus and/or rental car reservations, and hotel reservations.
- Attends and participates in both early season and after season individual goal setting conferences, with all team members.
- Cooperates and collaborates with the TU Aquatics Director in all relevant aspects of the daily operation of Hixon Natatorium and outdoor pool, to include serving as a secondary responder when the Aquatic Director needs assistance. Assists in assuring both safety and security of and within the swimming pools.
- Interacts and works with colleagues within the Athletic Department, to include the Athletic Director, the various Assistant Athletic Directors, Sports Information personnel, Equipment Management personnel, Training Room personnel, the NCAA Compliance Officer, the Business Manager, the Office Manager, the Physical Education Liaison and Secretary, etc.
- Teaches TU Department of Physical Education activity courses, as assigned.
- Assists with any secondary assignments within the Athletic Department as directed by the Athletic Director or his assistants.
- Abides by NCAA Division III Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving rules and regulations.
- Remains "on-call" for student-athletes needs 24/7, nights and weekends. Requires extensive travel and time during the regular season and during the recruiting season.
- Cooperates and collaborates with other employees in the spirit of teamwork and collegiality and interacts with confidence, patience and integrity to provide professional leadership during emergencies.
- Complies with all Trinity University policies and guidelines.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required: Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university.
Preferred: Master's degree or equivalent from four-year college or university.
Required: One year of coaching experience at the club, high school and/or collegiate level, preferably, at the NCAA Division III level.
Experience in the sport as an athlete and as a teacher/coach is important.
Preferred: Three years of coaching experience at the club, high school and/or collegiate level, preferably, at the NCAA Division III level.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrate effectiveness in the instructional aspects of coaching, the recruitment of student athletes, and the enhancement of the well-being of Trinity University.
- Head Coach's opinion regarding potential to help the program is imperative.
- Understanding of all aspects of coaching competitive swimming, to include both techniques and methods of training.
- Ability to "see" talent and to coach intuitively is an asset.
- Coaching, recruiting, and budget management.
- Ability and temperament to interact with and motivate college student athletes.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License and have a good driving history. May not have more than two moving violations in a three-year period.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification.
- All jobs require a current Criminal Background Check (CBC).