To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or email@example.com.
Job Description Summary
Perform routine clerical and administrative support functions with primary emphasis on ticket sales and customer service for Sports and Recreation. Use good judgment regarding set policies and procedures. Provide excellent customer service to a wide variety of customers. Work requires independent handling of operational matters and excellent customer service to a wide variety of customers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Act as a department liaison to internal and external constituents providing exemplary customer service. Use good judgment and discretion to resolve non-routine issues; independently respond to questions about policies and procedures to resolve issues and/or facilitate contact with appropriate personnel when required. 2. Greet and assist customers in a professional, friendly and courteous manner; independently respond to inquiries and provide information on events occurring at the Student Development Center (SDC), along with other activities on campus and in the community. 3. Sell and process cash receipts for Athletic and Cultural events, Huskiesfit classes, SDC, Gates Tennis Center, and Tech Trail memberships utilizing a web-based ticketing system. 4. Compile and prepare ticketing reports and other departmental projects, as requested. 5. Edit, compose, and type routine correspondence. Draft replies for non-routine correspondence. 6. Coordinate the daily operation in absence of the Office Assistant. 7. Assist in maintaining accurate seating charts for season ticket holders. 8. Assist in ensuring that all guidelines are followed and no violations occur. 9. Process Web sales for internal and external clients. 10. Sort and route incoming mail. 11. Receive, screen and route telephone calls. 12. Functional supervision is exercised over student assistants. 13. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. 14. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
● High school diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● One year office/clerical and customer service experience. ● One year of experience using personal computers and basic software packages including word processing and database/spreadsheet applications.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● College Degree ● Experience working in Ticketing ● Experience working in Athletics of Sports and Recreation ● Experience working in a bank/cashier environment. ● Experience utilizing Banner, Web Focus, or AudienceView Campus ● Experience working with the public in a fast-paced, information-based environment.
● Excellent interpersonal, customer service and oral/written communication skills. ● Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure with a high degree of accuracy. ● Demonstrated willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, and weekends with varying days off. ● Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. ● Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt to change. ● Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize multiple work assignments. ● Demonstrated ability to take the initiative to solve problems. ● Demonstrated ability to edit and proofread correspondence. ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. ● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
● Language skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
● Mathematical skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
● Reasoning ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit; and use hands to finger, handle or feel an object. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount ($13.00/hr).
Title of Position Supervisor
Ticketing Operations Manager
Internal & External Posting
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
UAW Posting 12/21/2022 - 1/3/2023 External applicants are encouraged to apply, however internal UAW applicants are given first consideration if they apply during the internal UAW posting dates.
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.