A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
PLEASE NOTE: Actual salary commensurate with experience, education and equity factors.
Conference and Event Services at The University of Michigan is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Sales and Business Development Coordinator. This position includes sales, operations and systems support for a department that recruits conferences and events, including summer conferences, in multiple facilities across the U-M campus. Conference and Event Services is responsible for catering sales generated for Michigan Dining as well as promoting the department as the recognized University resource for conferences & events. All staff are expected to facilitate services in a consistent professional manner and to achieve a high level of guest experience during all interactions.
The University of Michigan is unmatched for its student life capital improvements. Since 2004 the University has implemented an aggressive housing and dining facility renewal program called Residential Life Initiatives. Approximately $800 million in residence hall, apartment, and dining construction and renovation has been completed. In addition, the University recently approved $175 million in construction and renovation for unions and recreation facilities. Planning is underway for an $85 million renovation to the iconic Michigan Union. The Pierpont Commons recently completed a $5 million renovation to its main dining area.
Student Life Auxiliary Overview
Student Life auxiliary operations includes Capital Projects, Conference and Event Services, Marketing, Michigan Dining, Recreational Sports, University Unions, and University Housing. Student Life is committed to student learning and the development of the whole student in a diverse campus community. Through its programs, services, facilities and partnerships, Student Life facilitates students' transformation and enriches their education.
Reporting to the Director, Conference & Event Services, this position exists to support the internal and external client experience. The position requires frequent interaction with customers and service providers and will provide support to all functional areas of the department including sales, operations, and event management. The Sales & Business Development Coordinator will assist in proposal and contract creation and invoicing for multiple services and facilities both on and off the U-M campus. Day to day responsibilities will be dictated by needs of the department and include general administrative support and systems support for the department as a whole.
I. Sales & Event Support (45%)
- Provide timely and professional response to all sales leads and inquiries including returning clients, those from trade shows, web inquiries and other referral sources.
- Schedule facilities, prepare budgets, and create, process and track contracts for client bookings.
- Maintain and log sales activity as well as event details in event management database.
- Create bid proposals and budgets, and prepare contracts for new business; process executable contracts.
- Manage the planning and execution of assigned program, including scheduling and monitoring of all logistical and support service arrangements (dining, catering, facilities, housing, registration, etc.).
- Partner effectively with service providers to secure necessary services and facilities on campus; work with service providers on behalf of client.
- Ensure exceptional customer service during each step of interaction with clients and prospective clients with a goal of providing one-stop shop service.
- Maintain program data in event management software; exercise diligence in updating program confirmations (added billable items, price changes and customer driven changes) and ensure signatures and funds are received within appropriate timelines.
- Manage contracts through execution and/or file turnover to Operations.
- Staff client programs as assigned by Associate Directors and/or Director and as dictated by client contract.
- Oversee and maintain inventory of brochures and promotional materials; manage sales related mailings.
- Maintain and update C&E social media page(s).
- Attend trade shows and sales conventions as a representative of C&E and the University of Michigan.
- Work with sales team to set and meet sales targets and revenue goals.
- Work with events and sales team to optimize space in all facilities.
- Provide documentation of sales tracking, targets and extracting reports via client resource management software.
- Assist with client file set-up per established guidelines.
II. Data Analysis & System Administration (20%)
- Serve as primary administrator of conference management database.
- Assist in creating registration websites via Iris Registration software and processing registrations.
- Perform data extraction from event and conference databases for analysis; create and run reports as needed.
- Prepare marketing and forecasting using event and conference databases.
- Serve as primary liaison with IT services for department ICD phone lines.
III. Financial (20%)
- Authorize payments for materials, services, and other conference related expenses.
- Prepare final conference billing documents for billing office to complete.
- Serve as department contact regarding PCI Compliance and Gap Analysis Reporting Processes.
- Post payments to client and event files in department databases.
- Prepare, file and reconcile cash and check deposits; oversee proper day-to-day function of credit card payment system.
- Prepare spreadsheets and reports using excel.
- Reconcile P-card statements on a monthly basis.
IV. Office Administration and Other (15%)
- Provide general office support to the Conference & Event Services team and administrative support for management as assigned (may include filing, faxing, correspondence and copying).
- Maintain inventory of office, sales and event related supplies and promotional items; including ordering of all items from preferred vendors.
- Oversee facilities, vehicle and telecommunications repairs/service as needed.
- Provide event logistical support, including on-site event day assistance and support as needed.
- Complete special projects as designated by the Associate Directors and Director.
- As a member of Conference & Event Services and the Division of Student Life, serve on various committees and work teams as requested.
- Attend and participate in staff training and professional development opportunities.
- Assist in and perform other duties as assigned or as it may be related to Conference and Event Services.
- High school education or equivalent and a minimum of 4 years of office experience.
- Working knowledge and proven experience with Microsoft Office Suite (to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access), with strong knowledge specifically in Microsoft Excel.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Due to special project assignment from the Director, a high degree of confidentiality is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Conference, event and catering sales and operations experience highly desirable.
- Hospitality or Business related degree.
- Experience in or a strong familiarity with higher education is highly desirable.
- CMP or other meeting and event professional certification.
- Familiarity with technology/social media and how to leverage these media to more effectively reach constituents.
- Proficiency in EMS, Event Master, Meeting Matrix, Social Tables, Conference Programmer and/or other event and catering management and client management databases.
- Ability to work autonomously and manage multiple tasks requiring a high degree of attention to detail simultaneously.
- Ability to work with and appreciate a wide diversity of people.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment in which the parameters may change daily and to adjust behavior to meet the needs of different people and situations.
- Possess strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to write precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Ability to analyze situations and develop solutions.
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate goals and objectives.
- Maintain agreed upon levels of confidentiality.
- Ability to represent the University of Michigan and Conference and Event Services with confidence, professionalism and positivity at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts.
- Willingness to facilitate open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one's own team.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with student and professional staff, Division colleagues, and the University community.
- Consider the political environment when solving problems and implementing change.
- Ability to plan, organize and schedule in an efficient, productive manner and target projects or initiatives that require special attention and focus on key tasks when faced with limited time and/or resources.
- Ability and willingness to explore alternatives to existing products and services and identify opportunities to improve procedures and practices.
- Ability to develop and implement procedures, methods and operations required for efficient service operations.
- Demonstrates initiative.
Responsibilities of this position include reviewing and preparing conference and event contracts for invoicing; preparing, filing and reconciling cash deposits; overseeing proper day to day function of the credit card payment system; extracting data from systems for revenue analysis and projection purposes; and serving as department contact regarding PCI Compliance and GAP Analysis Reporting processes.
- Must be available and willing to work flexibly in an environment where extensive early morning, evening, and weekend hours are customary.
- Occasional presence at evening, weekend, and off-hours programs and events will be required.
- Occasional work outdoors as a representative of the Conference & Event Services department.
- Working with clients who may have high and impractical expectations to meet their needs while working within University policies and procedures.
Ability to move and transport equipment and supplies weighing up to 30lbs for tradeshow exhibits, marketing materials and event venues for event execution.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.